We are looking for a highly creative and innovative Designer who can develop concepts to create visual
representations, both in print and digital media. As an integral member of the UK Product Creation team, the Junior
Designer will take ownership of the design process from start to finish within agreed briefs, budgets and schedules.
The ideal candidate must be proficient in Adobe design software and have a good knowledge of design and
production processes, materials and finishes for print. Working in a fast-paced environment covering various genres, design tasks include cover design, interior artwork, layout from manuscript, and more. Designers are expected to work with our brand and imprint guidelines and templates, but also have the opportunity to showcase creativity and understanding of the target market through original design work.
This is an excellent position for someone wanting a solid grounding in publishing, with the opportunity to grow their
role through experience. If you think you have what it takes to bring musical ideas to life with creative flair and visual
impact, we want to hear from you.
Place of Work
• This role is based in our Central London office (1 Red Place, London W1K 6PL)
• We currently offer hybrid working in this role (3 days in the office with the flexibility to work from home 2 days a week)
• Core hours are 10.00–16.00, working a total of 37.5 hours per week. Start, finish and lunch times can be flexed in agreement with your Manager.
We are looking for candidates with the following skills
- A Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design or similar discipline and level, with a strong portfolio of work
- Strong attention to detail, and excellent organisational and communication skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced, flexible office environment as both a team player and a self-starter
- Excellent working knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Acrobat, with an understanding of how typography and image work together
- Photographic and retouching skills
- Passion for music and book publishing and an interest in current music and print/design trends
- Aligned with our company vision, mission and values to create product that meets the needs of a wide range of different stakeholders from a variety of different organisational and cultural backgrounds.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Interpret creative briefs to develop high quality sheet music book covers and interior artwork/layouts
• Repurpose images and graphics alongside text and/or music notation
• Apply photographic and retouching skills as required
• Source and commission external Illustrators, Photographers and Designers as required
• Source assets such as imagery and fonts and liaise with third party asset libraries as required
• Continuously develop and maintain a knowledge of Hal Leonard products and series
• Handle Design-related queries from other departments
• Support the wider European Editorial team with Design tasks as required
• Carry out any other duties as may be required that fall within the capabilities of the role.
• 25 days holiday allowance plus 8 Bank Holidays (total 33 days)
• An Employee Discount of up to 40% across our wide product range
• Stakeholder Pension Scheme (5% employee contribution, 3% employer contribution)
• Cycle to Work and Discount Voucher schemes
• An Employee Assistance Program is available for all employees and their families. As well as being a confidential support line, it also offers practical financial and life management advice 24/7.
How to Apply
All candidates are required to submit a CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.